The way you choose to decorate your home depends on your tastes in style. Are you more traditional or modern (or somewhere in between) in your preferences? The style you choose will influence all of your decorating choices—everything from the furniture in the room, the lighting options, and artwork on display, right down to the colour of paint on the walls will be tied to the look you are trying to achieve.
Whether you have moved into a new home and are starting from scratch, or you are simply redecorating a room in your current home, the choices are endless and can seem somewhat overwhelming. The good news is that there are some simple steps you can take to ease the stress of decorating while creating a beautiful space that is comfortable to be in.
When choosing decorating ideas for your home, consider the 5 principles of good interior design:
- Balance: Balance refers to the way that weight is dispersed around the room. Traditional designs are usually symmetrical in balance, whereas modern designs tend to be asymmetrical or radial (focused around one central point).
- Emphasis: This can also be referred to as your focal point. Where do you want the eye to be drawn to first upon entering the room? If you have a special piece of furniture, painting, feature of the room, or other item to display, try designing the rest of the room around it.
- Proportion and Scale: This refers to the size of decorating fixtures or furniture as compared to the size of the room they are in. A small space can feel crowded when filled with many large items of furniture. However, the same space can feel cozy and comfy when filled with a few items of wisely chosen furniture—perhaps one large item surrounded by a few smaller items.
- Rhythm and Details: Rhythm is created through repetition of the small design details. Repeating lines, textures, or colours lead your eye comfortably through a room. When decorating, see if you can find an element of design to repeat.
- Harmony and Unity: This is the feeling of peace that is achieved through a well-designed room. Do the colours complement one another? Does everything come together to look complete, or is there something obviously out of place?
By following these simple principles of design when decorating, you can make your home a reflection of your personality. If you want to learn more about decorating your home, contact us at Wasaga Beach Decorating. We are knowledgeable in the application of the principles of design and are willing to collaborate with you in creating the home you desire.