Painting a room can make a huge difference in its appearance, even if the furniture, décor, and lighting stay the same. However, it takes a lot more work to properly paint a room than many people think
Benjamin Moore Colour Trends 2014. The “New” Neutral Palette. As colour rarely exists in isolation, Benjamin Moore has designed a palette of 23 colors that work well together. There is harmony among the colors. There is an art to sequencing color from one room to another—hallways are the arteries of the house, rooms radiate off the hallways and this palette helps the transition because the colors flow seamlessly.
For the best paint job, you’ll need to follow these 7 steps:
1. Clean the walls– Remove all dust, dirt, and fingerprints with water, mild dishwashing detergent, and a sponge. Then rinse the walls with clean water to remove soap residue.
2. Tape around the edges of the walls with painters’ tape– Make sure to cover all trim, window frames, doorframes, and baseboards that you don’t want to get paint on.
3. Apply primer to the walls– Primer will help the final paint job look shinier and have a more even appearance. It will also lessen the number of paint coats needed to fully cover the former colour.
4. Use a paintbrush around the edges- A roller is too big to use in tight spots around the corners and edges (where you applied the painters’ tape), so use a 2-inch angled paintbrush in those harder-to-reach areas to create a buffer of 2 to 3 inches.
5. Paint in the shape of a “W”- Start in the corner of the wall and roll up and down in a 1 m x 1 m W pattern; then, fill in the area without removing the roller from the wall. Repeat in the next 1 m x 1 m section until the wall is finished.
6. Paint the trim– Paint the mouldings, door, baseboards, and window frames with a 2-inch angled paintbrush.
7. Remove the painters’ tape– Make sure to do this before the paint dries, so you don’t peel off any of the new paint in the process.
At Wasaga Beach Decorating in Wasaga Beach, ON, we can help you choose the perfect colours of Benjamin Moore paint for your new home. Contact us today to schedule an in-home paint and colour consultation.